Monday, April 2, 2007

Gucci: Loving hate or brawling love?



During my early university years, I had been into Gucci for a while like many other young girls. Gucci under Tom Ford did have some young and user friendly designs that appeal to students like me and my fellow colleagues at the time. Gucci Group made a massive come back with brands like Gucci and YSL during that period under new CEO and new creative director and was selected as the European company of the year for their major improvement in profitability. Sadly, the creative revitalization by Mr. Ford was rather shortlived and failed to win over continued support by the truly fashionables. Gucci have sooned become too commercial and kitsch. Their canvas monogram products become so ubitiquous on the streets and lacked thoughful design. The quality had also deteriorated, as I can clearly tell that my earlier Gucci bag is of much better quality than newer ones. After season after season, style after style of the same double G monogram, Gucci actually came up with a GUESS-vintage-baseball-player style bowler bags! On top of that, there are more and more tasteless girls on the street using Gucci/ Gucci-knock-off bags in such badly matched and unstylish manner that I decided I have had enough of these boring Gucci products and I will not use them anymore.


However, S/S 2007 did give a spark of hope. Their newest line of shoes and bags are clean, sleek, and has a distinctive design. Their neo-ethnic look for the season incorporated the futuristic and 80's trend through the use of metallic decoration, vivid hue, and the 80's disco inspired shapes without being too literal about it. At least I see an endeavour by Frida Gianinni to deviate from the cliche and overt sexuality that we have been seeing from Gucci. I must applaud for the lack of double-G monogram, at the very least. Although after seeing the F/W 2007 collection, I am not exactly convinced that I'm ready to embrace Gucci again, I figure they perhaps deserve another chance.



No comments: